Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tips for Preventing Electric Shock at Home

Electricity is such a normal part of everyday living that its almost impossible to imagine life without it. Electricity can also be quite dangerous if not used properly. It can cause serious injuries through electric shocks or even death. Here are a few tips for safety when using electricity in the home to prevent electric shock.

Avoid water

Water is a good electrical conductor, but it does not conduct the electricity through a specific channel, it spreads all over. You can be easily electrocuted if you step on a wet floor while an electrical appliance with an exposed wire is on the floor on the other side of the room. Keep all your appliances away from water. Do not use your hair drier or shaver near your bathtub. In case your house gets flooded, turn off the electricity from the main switch before attempting to unplug all the appliances in the flooded area. Avoid operating your electrical appliances when your hands are wet.

Keep the electrical cords out of the way

Another way that people often are electrocuted is through electrical cords traversing the house, especially in high traffic areas. You should keep your cords short and close to the outlet. In case you need to use very long cords, you should consider calling an electrician to install a new outlet closer to the appliance you are powering. Avoid tucking long power cables under carpets or furniture. The wear and tear might damage the insulation covering and expose the live wires inside that will electrocute anyone who touches it.

Keep your appliances in great working order.

First, you should always buy appliances from reputable brands that are accredited for great quality and high safety standards. Use your appliances as recommended by manufacturers to prevent malfunctioning. In case your appliance stops working properly or starts making unusual noises, you should get it repaired immediately. Your chances of being electrocuted are often higher when the appliance is faulty.

Use outlet covers

If you have small children or pets in the house, you should use outlet covers to prevent them from tampering with the electricity outlet. The outlets are direct sources of live electricity and it is very easy to be electrocuted at the outlet. The outlet covers are usually difficult to remove for children or any animals that you may have around the house.

Circuit breakers and fuses

In case you live in an old house, it may not have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI), which is a standard in most new construction homes, especially in areas where water will be in close proximity to the outlet, like kitchens. The GFCIs shuts down power instantaneously to prevent electrocution. You should also have the right size and wattage rating circuit breakers and fuses. Be careful when buying replacements for these to ensure that they match the specifications of the circuit to be used in. You can also get advice from an electrician if you are not sure of the right ones to buy.

Posted by: Blackstock Electric