Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ways to Prevent Electric Shock at Home

Electricity is such an important resource in the house that it is almost impossible to imagine life without it. About 85% of appliances in the house all rely on electricity to function. Electricity can also be dangerous if not used the right way. Many people often suffer electrical shock in the home and the results may be worse for small children or even pets. The following are a few tips to keep you safe from electrical shock in the home:

Always be conscious about your safety
Never through caution to wind when dealing with electrical circuits or anything electrical. It is crucial to maintain all the necessary safety precautions at all times because electrical shock can kill. Follow the instructions and cautions given on your electrical devices, never hurry through electrical projects and call a professional whenever you are unsure about something.

Shut off the power
You should always shut off the power before you start working on anything electrical. When the circuit is energized, it is quite easy to get electrocuted. You should unplug any device before unscrewing it open. Even after turning off the circuit, you still need to check if it is indeed off before touching anything, as the switches may be faulty. Use an electrical tester (you can find these from your local appliance store) to check if the circuit is still energized. If the light comes on, you definitely need to recheck the circuit for any connections.

Use insulated ladders
When working on electrical wiring in hard to reach areas, always use insulated ladders instead of aluminum ladders. Avoid any conductive material in general. Today you can find insulated fiberglass ladders that do the job quite well.

Avoid working on anything electrical in wet condition
Water is an electrical conductor and can cause serious electrical shock when it comes into contact with an energized circuit. Dry your hands properly before touching or working on anything electrical. You should also avoid working in wet areas. If your house is flooded and you need to switch off the power in the basement on lower areas of the house, wear rubber boots and gloves. The insulation will prevent you from getting electrocuted.

You should consider getting a ground fault circuit interrupter for your tools and appliance. The GFCI will shut off the circuit if the current starts flowing along unintended paths such as water.

Warning labels
You may think you have enough electrical experience to get through life without reading warning labels and this can be a huge mistake. You should always read warning labels on electrical devices for your own safety. You should also place warning labels for others to see when working on anything electrical. Without placing a warning label, someone else could turn on the circuit in the split second that you step away from your work area. What follows can be a seriously devastating accident. Warning labels save lives and they should not be taken for granted.

Posted By: Blackstock Electric